Built around 1835, this was the home of Major William Houghton, a Civil War veteran. He was the president of the White River Bank. The house is located along State Road 550, four-tenths of a mile east of the Houghton Bridge (over White River).
The Houghton House is also known as “Mt. Vernon of the West”, and is now called Evergreen Hill, and was part of the ‘underground railroad’.